Sets up and operate a Komori 5 color printing press and work with press manager to coordinate printing plan and schedule. Ensure that each job is run according to customer specifications and meeting internal and external deadlines; maintains quality control and reduces waste and press downtime.
- Basic computer skills related to press operations
- Basic math skills
- High school diploma, GED, OR 10+ Years work experience gained through training in all phases of press work in the printing industry including, but not limited to:
- Knowledge of applicability of jobs to individual presses
- Ability to read and understand written instructions and set-up the press to carry out instructions
- Ability to problem-solve issues related to the press or press operations
- Thorough knowledge of press operations and functions
- Understanding of quality systems and how they relate to customer expectations
- Examine job orders to determine quantities to be printed, stock specifications, colors, or special printing instructions. Ensure that press team members know job details to ensure proper press utilization.
- Ensure plates are correct for current job.
- Verify that paper and ink meet the specifications for the job and verify against the job ticket.
- Initiate and perform make-readies on your own, single operator, no helpers.
- Perform press operations to operate and run press, such as make-ready, register color, and general press operations maintenance activities. Ensure press speed and quality are maintained.
- Coordinate efforts of all press team members to ensure press is set up and operated according to press schedule(s).
- Perform press checks and work with customers to satisfaction, collect signature and store with job jacket.
- Collect and inspect random samples during print runs to identify any necessary adjustments.
- Ensure quality standards required by customer are met and maintained. Perform press duties to achieve, maintain and monitor quality of signatures throughout the press run, including such things as: maintaining consistent color, registration and folds.
- Ensure that correct proofs are available for each job and returned upon completion of the job (includes O.K.'d sheets).
- Pull proofs to check for ink coverage and density, alignment, and registration
- Ensure proper color by setting color and adjusting color as required by quality requirements.
- Monitoring and direct press activities to ensure proper print quality.
- Determine when additional plates/blankets are necessary, coordinate with prepress to get new plates. Dispose of plates in recycling area.
- Generate required records and waste reports, enter data into company MIS system.
- Maintain waste within acceptable range as defined by management per the job.
- Coordinate with other press team members as necessary to ensure that the press continues to run properly, and maintenance is up to date.
- Ensure proper housekeeping on and around press, keep work area clean and safe.
- Ensure that all safety mechanisms (such as guards, interlocks and other devices) are in proper condition and report any deficiencies to supervision immediately.
- Attend and participate in required meetings and training.
- Must follow all company policies and procedures as specified in the departmental SOP’s and in the Employee Handbook.
- Perform routine maintenance on the press with press team members as required to maintain press functionality. Direct other press team members on necessary work to keep press operational.
- Follow all company policies and procedures as specified in the departmental SOP’s and in the Employee Handbook.
The above list of essential functions is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary.
Success Factors/Job Competencies:
Must be able to meet stringent deadlines. Must be organized and have the ability to plan, prioritize and follow through on projects assigned with minimal supervision required. Must be able to interact and cooperate with press team members and show an enthusiastic/positive attitude. Must have ability to communicate (verbal/written) with press team members and supervisors. Must be flexible in job shift assignments according to job press schedules, work overtime when required, and be able to cover other shifts when needed.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Demands: While performing duties of job, incumbent is constantly required to stand; walk. Must frequently use hands to finger, handle, grasp, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear; use close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds; crawl; crouch; stoop; twist.
Work Environment: This position requires work in a production environment. The production environment has a loud noise level. Ambient temperatures are Generally between 70-80 degrees in the summer and 65-75 in the winter, and may have exposure to vapors, chemicals, dust, and odors.
Please fill out the application below. For any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.orgOnline Application Download Application